plz forgive my curiousity / bright star to the east

I live in sheffield, s yorks and am simply compelled to post (what probably sounds a very dumb question), can anyone please tell me what the exceptionally bright star (or planet) to the east is in tonights heavens???

ps thanks SOOOOO MUCH in advance - and sorry for my poor knowlege of astronomy.

Not a bad option or maybe pay a visit to your nearest Astronomy Society where if your lucky with the weather you may get to have a decent look at it, also check out your local Liddle or Aldi who sell some binoculars for around £15.00, a few members on the forum have mentioned those and they are ok for the money from what I have read.

It's Jupiter. I see you have already found the other thread, so check out Jupiter with binos. You know what to do now!

The colours you refer to are due to atmospheric turbulence. This is always present but is more pronounced some nights and less obvious on others. It is much more obvious for objects low in the sky, as their light must travel through a much greater mass of air compared to objects directly overhead. Astronomers call the atmospheric stability the "seeing" and are happy when the seeing is good and the atmosphere stable. This enables many more details to be seen.

Here is Jupiter through a telescope in poor seeing:

Here is Jupiter in good seeing:

The magnification is lower in the first video, but higher power wouldn't make things clearer. The distortion induced by the atmosphere is why the Hubble telescope is in space.

Archived