NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sorry, yet another IC5146!

This is my first ever attempt on the Coccon nebula, inspired by (but not matching!), Ollys excellent example. No smooth dusty lanes for me! The subs (around 3 hours worth), were taken over two nights this week.

Skywatcher 8" Quattro

Skywatcher coma corrector

Canon 500D modded

31 x 300 secs, 800 ISO

20 Darks, 45 Flats

Overall, I was quite pleased because my guiding graph was going all over the place, although my PA and drift alignment were spot-on. An ongoing puzzle, but hey ho!

The image as a whole turned out much better than I expected. Also this was the first time I had tried combining exposures from different nights, each with their own darks and flats. So as far as that was concerned it was a bit of an experiment and a learning experience - especially lining the camera up for the second nights imaging!

But ....

Try as I might I cannot get rid of that gradient. And why are the stars on the right-hand side all brown? :) Is that just light pollution?:p

As always, comments welcome.

Anyway, thanks for looking :)

post-19904-133877670183_thumb.jpg

I may be talking out the back of my neck here (frequently do,just ask the missus :p ) but isn't the whole area around the Coccon pretty dusty? Could this be the reason for the 'brown' stars?

Anyway,I had a play with saturation and levels and it certainly looked to me as if there was a brownish area lurking in the background. I usually avoid nebulae,so as I say,I may be talking rubbish......:)

I can say with certainty however that your image is a good capture nicely framed.:)

post-13495-133877670613_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Cloudwatcher :). Yeah that area is pretty dusty. However I have the same-ish brown-ish gradient across all the images I've taken this week. Here is an image of M27 I posted in another thread. Wondered if this is likely to be light pollution, or perhaps amp noise?

post-19904-133877670767_thumb.jpg

Archived