Tripod Suggestion

Hi,

I just got some binoculars Celestron Skymaster 25x70.

I would like to get a tripod for them. Any suggestions?

Also, I own a Nikon D5000 so if the tripod could fit both (not at the same time, though that would be great too) it would be perfect. Any suggestions?

Amazon suggests this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-00004161-Star-61-Tripod/dp/B0000WXD0W/ref=pd_bxgy_ce_img_b

However, it's so cheap that I am afraid that I will break it in half in no time. Any other suggestion?

I'd have a look at redsnapper...

Home

they are more expensive than that, but cheaper than the likes of Manfrotto etc. I use one, with my camera (450d), my bino's and my 80ED and magnifiers for full frame shots of the moon (about 1500mm). It handles it all.

Hi

The Horizon 8115 heavy duty tripod is good for binoculars, small scopes, and photography / video work. This is a popular scope with astronomers (take a look at the kit list SGL members give at the end of their posts) and there are several threads that mention this tripod by name. Sky At Night magazine tested this tripod and gave it a 'Highly Recommended' rating.

The tripod itself comes with three-part telescopic legs with rubber stoppers for grip on concrete and also spikes for grass / soft ground. The centre rod extends and the overall height is approximately seven feet to allow viewing at zenith. The scope comes with a base plate that fits to standard tripod shoes and is held in place in the tripod by a tension clip. The costs is arround the £80 mark and is widely available including FLO First Light Optics - Tripods

The above two suggestions are great as far as the tripod itself is concerned and certainly up to the job. However, in my view the problem is not the tripod but the tripod head and the restriction on tilt, which typically is limited to 60 degrees. I have included some information here for your attention in which a discussion on alternatives is explored.

Hope that helps.

James

Archived