Sunspots and proms Wednesday

ollypenrice

PROMS-17-AUG-11-L.jpg

Andrew (AWR) and I spent a long time trying to make a seamless joint between proms and disk, and indeed the proms themselves needed separate exposure times because of the extreme dynamic range.

Nice hot day, though! Andrew took charge of the one below and will explain...

The sunspots in the image below were immediately visible this afternoon. We wanted the colours to show some of the energy which was present. I think that we've managed to capture some of the heat with this picture.

If any of this sounds like nonsense, it's probably due to the plentiful wine which has been drunk this evening!

Andrew

SUNSPOTS-17-AUG-11-L.jpg

Wine or not these are great shots!:) But were you looking at the sun sideways? :D

Heh heh, quite possibly!

I compose pics on purely aesthetic grounds, I'm afraid...

I'm curious as to how 'proper' solar imagers apply their proms to their disks. This was a real palaver but good fun. We did two runs on the proms, one using longer exposures for the faint stuff on the right and one to optimize the roots of the bright one on the left. We layer masked these together using my deep sky approach, generating the mask from the short exposure placed on top of the long.

Next we used the same technique to layer mask the proms onto the disk. However, the disk was partly affected by the burned out disk below so we re-applied the best disk to the top layer.

Can't help thinking there's an easier way but this is giving the smoothest continuity between disk and prom that I've managed to date.

Olly

Archived