How to take pictures through a telescope

Hello,

Im new to astronomy and would like to know what i need to get to take pictures through my new telescope. Ive got a Celestron 114EQ and my camera is a DSLR, ive read about t-adapters but i need a little help. Could someone please tell me what id need.

Thanks

Hi Blagger and welcome to SGL :smiley:

For a dslr, yes a T-ring will connect the camera to a 1.25" adaptor to fit in your scope focus tube (much like an eyepiece). But you have a small aperture scope and no motor to drive the RA axis.

You might be able to get a shot or two of the moon and planets with that set up, so long as you're polar aligned and have a steady hand for tracking. But deep sky will probably not be possible as is.

If you add a RA motor and an astro webcam like the SPC880 (flashed to 900) then you'll have a lot more success than using a dslr. Hope that helps :)

• 2 weeks later...

yoiu could do some widefield 30s exposures with a 18 55mm standard lens without the ra motor or get yourself a webcam to capture some avi's allowing the target to drift through the fov although would recommend a ra motor

Before being seduced by any imaging, can I recommend that you get hold of a copy of Steve Richards "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95). A modestly priced book that will save you money by providing a comprehensive guide as to what you need and why you need it to achieve the sort of images you want. Different imaging subjects will have their own minimum equipment requirements, some cheap and some more expensive. Imaging is good fun but necessarily easy to do, so getting hold of a good overview at the start will really help you along.

James

Archived