NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SW Equinox 120ED vs WO Megrez 120ED

Hi all,

I cannot decide between the Skywatcher Equinox 120 ED refractor and the William Optics Megrez 120 ED. Both scopes use exactly the same optics. The focusers are different (and not too good for astrophotography). I could find a lot of information about the Equinox from users and magazines. It receives very positive results. The color correction is "perfect" for a scope in that price range.

On the hand, on the Megrez 120 ED I can hardly find anything. Only a test report in Astronomy Technology Today and some users who complain about the focuser.

Does anyone own a Megrez 120 ED and could he/she tell me how it performs (especially visually)? Does the use of the same optics (even from the same factory!) meand that the visual performance are also identical?

Would like to hear your thoughts and advice/suggestions: Equinox or Megrez.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Kind regards,

Duncan

(Netherlands)

I would say that if you are going to complain about the focuser, complain about the one that cost you less money! Since the optics are the same and a tube is a tube, the issue boils down to the focuser - unless I am missing something, which is not unlikely!

Olly

I own Equinox 120 and i'm very happy with it. It gives very goog image, last night i looked double stars with it and really enjoy.

I also read abt. focuser issues before i buy it, but i find that focuser is good enough for my Canon EOS1000D. Maybe worth of change if you use filterwheel and bigger camera. Rotating focuser is easy to use and does not need any locking mechanism. I separated focuser from tube and added a little drop of lubrication oil to threads. It's easy to do, just twist open.

I know one example from Finland that Equinox had pinched optics, giving triangle shape star images, but i think it's not very common? If you buy one, you can ask selling company to test optics first. I got test results when i buy mine from Teleskop Service.

Hi,

The Megrez is definitely a no go for me.

I read everywhere on the internet (and heard from owners) that the Equinox 120ED has very good optics (even better than the Megrez 120). As I mentioned, in most reports I read that the focusser is good enough for visual use, but when you want to use it for photograpy it is better to replace it with a more solid focusses (e.g. Moonlite).

But there is also the Robtics 115mm (triplet), which should have even better optics (for more or less the same price). The Robtics has a better focusser. Next week I will pay a visit to the Robtics shop.

The mount I will go for is the NEQ6 PRO.

Will keep you posted on my final decision.

Regards,

Duncan

You probably cant find much about the megrez 120 because its overpriced and most would go for the equinox instead since the optics are the same :)

For the extra cost of the megrez you could almost get a moonlite focuser for the equinox..

Would the negative comments about the WO focuser be for the DDG version or its predecessor? The DDG on a Meg72 is stronger than that on the non-DDG 72 and I wondered if the same applied to the 120ED?

Not that I'm ever likely to fork out for a 120mm refractor - eyes are still watering from the price! :D

Archived