webcam focussing

Would webcam focussing through my 200mm Sky watcher reflector be sharper using a 4 x barlow rather than a 2 x ? My saturn attempt was blurry and i had trouble making out any detail. Looked fine through the eyepiece.

Thanks

No, a 4x barlow will probably be worse. As you increase magnification, the effects of atmospheric distortion (seeing) get worse. The point of using a webcam is so that you can take multiple exposures (a movie) and then combine those images in stacking software to bring out the detail.

Could be the the webcam, was it on auto exposure control? This is the default mode for most webcams and is no good for astro work, it will result in overexposure of your target. You will need to get to grips with manual exposure control.

Barry

I was manually adjusting the webcam controls which made it better than the white blob i had on auto exposure! I just couldn't get it very clear, nothing like the sharp images I have seen on here with the same set up that I have which is frustrating. Would be grateful for some tips on focussing and manual webcam settings.

Thanks

Stuart

Archived