NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Startravel 120 (AZ3/AZ4)

lw24

Hi all,

I bought this telescope as my first telescope, and somehow, avoided buying a 6 inch Dobsonian, and went for the smaller refractor.

I had my reasons. It's more portable and rugged. It doesn't require collimation. It doesn't have a noticeable cool-down time, and it has better contrast (no central obstruction).

So, first light.

Opened up Stellarium, and got to work. Picked off the Orion Nebula (M42), which looked stunning. A sparkling star arrangement on a dark velvety backdrop. The nebula was clearly visible, however didn't extend too far (I can't wait to try it with a UHC filter next autumn). I then moved over to the Pleiades (M45). Wow! the seven main stars were very bright, and were accompanied by many other fainter smaller stars. The view was stunning. The cluster just about fitted into the FOV (25mm eyepiece), however I am looking forward to trying this cluster again with my 32mm eyepiece.

However, the best view came when I decided to check out the Beehive Cluster (M44). Lined my scope up using the supplied Red Dot Finder, and put my eye to the eyepiece. Absolutely incredible. I could fit the whole cluster into the field of view using a 32mm eyepiece, and the view was absolutely stunning! Incredible! The contrast was outstanding. Stars were nice pin point sources of light against a black sky.

The Moon is also definitely worth a look in this telescope. It seems so much sharper than in a compared 6 inch newtonian reflector (Helios Skyscan 2001).

To let the truth be known, the scope isn't brilliant on planets, however Saturn has made many independant viewers say "Wow!".

The mount provided in the bundle I purchased was an AZ3, which isn't really up to handle the work. I quickly replaced it with a AZ4, and am extremely happy with the setup.

Don't be afraid to buy this telescope over a 6 inch reflector. Aperture isn't ALWAYS king.

Cheers all!

Hi Iw24,

I'm following your threads with interest - keep posting!

How are you finding the AZ4, at low power i guess it must be easy to move the 'scope around the sky?

I must say that my first 'scope is a refractor and knowing nothing else I love the aspects of this type of telescope. It is only a tiddler so to speak! :)

BTW, I have just pm'd you.

Tim

Hi,

The AZ4 is a joy to operate, especially at low powers. You can adjust the tension of the mount to suit you, then effortlessly glide around the sky. Slow-Motion controls would have been nice, but I'm not too bothered that it hasn't got any.

After a few months observing, I now know what my telescope excells at. I much prefer the view of a stunning open cluster in my telescope, than a little brighter smudge of a galaxy in a 8 inch reflector.

Cheers,

Luke

I know where you are coming from with the clusters vs faint smudges. I have to take a sharp breath when i decide to get the binos out to view my favourite clusters and stars.

So what are you doing for the planets? Putting up with the ST120's shortcomings on them? I shall have to check your last post 'cos I think you said that the moon shows little CA in the 120.

Back to work now!

- A quick edit - so, you say the moon is sharp - sounds good to me.

So what are you doing for the planets? Putting up with the ST120's shortcomings on them? I shall have to check your last post 'cos I think you said that the moon shows little CA in the 120.

Back to work now!

- A quick edit - so, you say the moon is sharp - sounds good to me.

Hi,

For the time being, I'm happy with the ST120s performance on planets (well, I've only seen one! :(), and seeing as I'm a student, I don't really have the funds to invest in a new scope just for planets. In the future maybe :).

The Moon is pretty sharp in the ST120, and at this time of year, when the skies don't get very dark until late, it's a great target (you can look at the Moon in the day sometimes!).

Clear Skies

Archived