NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NEQ6SynTrek with EQMOD or SynScan

hi all.. forgive me if its a repost.. :D

today i read somewhere on this forum.. someone said he'd rather go for an EQMOD instead of SynScan.. i did some basic research and found that EQMOD is some software that controls the mount thru laptop.. this has been a source of my new doubt..

till today.. i had decided that id be going for SkyWatcher Explorer 200P OTA + NEQ6 Pro SynScan.. but SynTrek is about 100 pounds cheaper.. if theres no hardware difference between the two mounts.. and if SynTrek can really easily be connected to a laptop.. itll be a blast..

can anyone tell me whats the hardware difference between the two mounts? and how do you connect the SynTrek mount to a laptop and how do you control it? what can be done via the laptop? alignment? tracking? slewing? autoguiding? and how?

and finally.. lemme know which setup is better.. out of the two mounts..

regards..

asim sohail..

Im no expert in EQMOD and ASCOM but I think your gonna need something from here to connect:

The Shoestring Astronomy Store - EQ Direct Interface Products

I think the only difference in hardware between the syntrek and syncan is the handset, but Im sure others will correct me if Im wrong.

A lot of people swear by EQMOD and its abilities so hopefully they will chip in soon.

Both Syntrek and SynScan have the same mount electronics (only the handset differs).

You can unplug both SynTrek and SynScan controller pads then use an EQDIRECT interface (or your own EQDIR/MOD interface) to connect the laptop running EQMOD to the mount.

From that point on EQMOD/ASCOM controls the mount and you can then use applications to add GOTO etc (stellarium or CdC etc).

EQMOD offers better error correction than the SynScan/Trek controller. Hence accuracy of the mount is improved and the resulting images are sharper.

If you're on the move and visually observing, then SynScan reduces the number things to carry for GOTO - if the objects you're looking for are in the handset database. The alignment means once it's aligned you can set your own objects up and goto those objects.

The SynScan NEQ6 Pro came with two saddles (one vixen and one losmandy) too..

Archived