NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Windy or Gusty, it seems those are not imaging nights either! (M5, M16 and Vega)

CKemu

It seems in the world of astronomy the astronomer who wishes to photograph must have the following in conjunction:

Clear sky

Little to no atmospheric turbulence

A landscape that does not blot out large portions of the sky

As little light pollution as possible (A site 200km from human beings!)

Zero wind

Anti freeze blood as summer shortens nights, so winter is preferable.

This all said, I had lots and lots of fun last night showing friends M13, M5, Saturn and Vega, even some that could handle the 14mm EP!

It was a gloriously clear evening, and despite Vega twinkling, made for some cracking visual observations! But due to wind, my newly found nemesis (to join drift alignment) imaging was really rather out of the question!

So below are photos of M5, M16 and Vega. M16 is EXTREMELY low on my very light polluted horizon, and wind was making even more mockery of my efforts. However I am curious, what on Earth (lol) is the halo around Vega, I presume the brightness of Vega is causing some effect with my optics - if so, how can I minimize it?

I should note, these are un-edited single subs, not a hint of stacking, PS or otherwise

post-22545-133877597945_thumb.jpg

post-22545-13387759795_thumb.jpg

post-22545-133877597954_thumb.jpg

Archived