NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Focal Reducer help

This may be a stupid question, but as I own a Meade ETX105 and Televue Ranger, I am planning do do some 'basic' astrophotography with a digital compact camera, (Olympus C2040 & CLA adaptor) and/or a webcam, do I need a focal reducer? I understand the job of a focal reducer shortens the the length of a scope and reduces exposure time, but do I get a smaller image too? :)

The attached image was taken on 13 March 2011 using 'afocal' projection with a 20mm Plossl attached to my ETX. (Apologies for the darkness of the image).

You would not want a reducer for webcam imaging except maybe on the moon, to get a wider field. On the planets you want to increase the size of the target on the chip, which you can do with Barlows and Powermates. Speed is not an issue because the moon and planets are bright.

In deep sky imaging a fast focal ratio, hence reducer, is much to be desired because your targets are very faint.

Olly

Thank you 'olly' and 'dph1nm' for your answers.

'dph1nm' - another quick question regarding your C2020. I purchased a third party remote control for my C2040, (I did not have the original Olympus one with the camera), and nothing happens, even with a new battery, am I over looking something?

PS thanks for your link to your article.

I purchased a third party remote control for my C2040, (I did not have the original Olympus one with the camera), and nothing happens, even with a new battery, am I over looking something?
Hmm - you need to change the drive option to self/remote I think. My original wore out eventually (you had to press the button very hard for anything to happen at first, then it just stopped responding all together), but I managed to get a new Olympus one. Despite having buttons for zoom/focus the only thing that every worked on it was the shutter release. I seem to remember it was sometimes quite sensitive to where you pointed it (I think the IR sensor is on the front of the camera, which can be a bit tricky when coupled to a scope).

You can still get the Olympus RM-1 I think - about 20-30 pounds.

NigelM

Archived