NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Question - How to force a meridian flip?

I have been doing some astro-imaging with a ED80 on a CG5 AS-GT, and on a couple of occasions I have started an imaging sequence, only to hit tracking limit of the mount and been forced to do a meridian flip fairly early on. This usually involves a couple of wasted subs (‘cos I wasn’t paying attention and missed the discreet alarm sound from PHD Guiding), re-acquiring the target and sometimes re-calibrating the mount for PHD Guiding. This all takes time, and with a job that takes me away many nights, being fairly far north, and living under the clear skies of North Wales ;-), I am losing valuable time.

So a question – can I force which side of the mount the target is approached from? In a couple of cases I knew I had enough space to start the imaging run from the other side of the meridian, but I could not work out how to get the mount to the ‘right’ side. It seems to want to decide which side to be.

Any ideas?

old_eyes

Archived