Advice re: Orion XT10g as first scope

I am thinking of purchasing an Orion XT10g as my first scope (since the Spitz Moonscope I had as a child in the 1950s). I will have to transport the scope to a better observing site than my yard, but I figure it won't be that difficult if I have a portable hand truck for the base and a padded case with carrying strap for the OTA. Is that realistic?

Does anyone have experience with the go-to on this scope? Does it work well? According to the Orion literature, this scope also has tracking capability, which should make it possible to do some planetary imaging (the people at Orion suggested using their Orion Star Shoot Solar System Imager 4 with this scope). Does anyone have experience using a dob with tracking capability for imaging?

Any thoughts about the soundness of this plan (or lack thereof) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi welcome to sgl, i'ts very odd we have had a couple of people talking about hand trucks bags and walking, anyway welcome. I will answer the imaging one first, yes there have been some people who have used a webcam on dob mounts so planetary and lunar imaging is possible, in fact it should be even easier with a tracking dob. But a 10 inch dobsonian tube is quite large and heavy and its not something I would like to take for a long walk. I would be terrified of knocking it on something in the dark as it is quite unwieldy. heres a pic of a 10 inch tube it's about the same size http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/128173-look-size-thing.html

I just checked the weight is about 25lbs which isn't that heavy but it is quite large and of course fragile

Hi there JDB, first of all welcome to SGL :eek:

Apart from any of the more specific advice you'll get about that 'scope (or similar) and imaging...

On general principals (love to meet him :icon_salut: ) I always take the marketing with a pinch of salt. After all, no matter how good a product may be, the sales dept do have to give it maximum positive spin. Especially if they can make a value added sale too.

Trust me, I make my living selling :)

Thanks for the advice. Thanks again for all the helpful advice, Joanie, and thanks especially for your candid assessment of a scope that OP does not sell (Orion XT10g). If I decide to buy this telescope, I would like to get your input about accessories.

1) Eyepieces. The scope comes with a 28 mm "DeepView" 2" and a 12.5mm illuminated Plossl 1.25". What other sizes/FOV of eyepieces would you recommend for starters with this scope given its focal length (1200mm) and f ratio (4.7). I know that Teleview is the gold standard with eyepieces, but is there another manufacturer of quality eyepieces that rivals Televue performance but costs a little less?

2)Some people have recommended purchasing a laser collimater and a Telrad. Are these things I should get right a Away? The scope comes with a collimation cap and a finder scope that is non-magnified and has a small red LED dot in the middle to indicate precisely where the scope is pointed.

3) What would you recommend to buy initially in the way of filters, and are there differences in quality between manufacturers?

4) I would need to purchase a power supply, but I would guess there is little difference between different brands in terms of performance. Do you agree?

5) Are there any other accessories that I should purchase right away?

Thanks again for all the help.

A Telrad is super, super, useful. It will make finding things much easier. I would buy one right away.

If you are buying a fast scope (i.e. F5 and below) then you will want more than just the standard cheapo "collimator cap." You'll want something from the off. A laser collimator is only useful if it's a *good* laser collimator. Cheaper ones that loose collimation easily will create more problems than they solve. The good ones are made by the likes of Howie Glatter. However, in the first instance, you'd be better off with a Cheshire/sight-tube combo tool. You will that anyway in order to centre the secondary mirror but you can use it to perform the whole collimation procedure. Personally, I use a Cheshire and a Catseye autocollimator. Those are super accurate, don't need batteries, and don't loose collimation. It's horses for courses, however.

Archived