SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

F6.3 Focal Reducer for Meade ACF

It's quite right that the "standard" 0.63x SCT focal reducer does not work well with ACF / EdgeHD optics because it includes field flattening & coma correction which you no longer need. This will probably not be an issue with smaller imaging chips but almost certainly will be with APS-C size sensors.

Could I resectfully suggest that a focal reducer designed for a flat field system would work? Intes Micro do 0.8x and 0.6x flat field focal system redusers with SCT threaded bodies which look to me as though they would be ideal. Linky

You are correct, as the Meade ACF has the ACF then the coma correction in the current F6.3 would in my view "push the correction the other way" in other words, instead of helping now hindering. As for that item you posted the link to, I do like the phrase:

Field curvature:

... is not effected. A curved field remains curved and a flat field remains flat.

That is promising; however, I am still after a flat field as I believe the ACF only takes care of the coma (I understand the ACF also helps create a flatter field, but that still proves limited as the edges of the images will still show slight curvature), but who knows ;-) I have sent them a quick email with the query so will post when I hear from them.

Thanks Brian

Archived