Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Atik 383L+ 1.25" Filter Testing

Euan

It's taken me a while to get around to this, been busy faffing about with other things as usual.

So, the question is, can you use 1.25" filters in a wheel with the 383L+ at a decent speed and survive to tell the tale? Here we go....

Configuration:

Atik 383L+ :: 1mm T2 to SCT :: True Tech Supa Slim :: 1mm T2 to SCT :: 5mm T2 :: TRF-2008 :: Focuser

Telescope specs:

Equinox 80 with TRF-2008

Aperture: 80mm

Reduced focal length: 400mm

Speed with reducer: F5

Filters:

No filter - carousel removed, so full T2 aperture

RGB - Baader 1.25" RGB CCD Filters (RGB Filters & Filter Sets - Baader LRGBC CCD Filter set)

5046655081_80a92dbbc0_b.jpg

The spacing between the filter wheel is 1mm which I reckon is as close as you can get without the Atik EFW2 or making a custom T2 to SCT adaptor. I used this one from Teleskop-Service:

SCa-T2a_Filtergewinde_1508035.jpg

Adapter: SC aussen - T2 aussen / sehr kurzbauend - Teleskop-Express: Astro-Shop + Fotografie + Naturbeobachtung

I've been using it for the past few weeks and don't seem to have much trouble getting images, but I've never actually ran the flat frame analysis to see what the figures are, so here it is:

5047361330_30679b6f42_z.jpg

5047275318_feeae2b8f0_z.jpg

5046652341_7a6ddcf36d_z.jpg

5046652031_f3c9a0ee77_z.jpg

The effect in the corner of the green is due to the fact that I can see daylight through it at the edge. If I can't get some way of adjusting it in it's cell it will have to go back. This is also causing a drift in the rest of the figures so this one pretty much has to be ignored

Other than the green, this seems to be a good result. The difference between no filter and the RGB isn't too bad. So there you go, it can be done!

Nicely worked out, its encouraging to know it can be done with such a decent camera.

I'd send that filter back regardless of if it can be removed by adjusting it in its cell. If that shifted whilst imaging that would be very frustrating indeed.

Archived