Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

CCD for SW 80ED DS-Pro

Michael-H

I have a SkyWatcher Evostar 80ED DS-Pro refractor on which I have a modded Canon 600D DSLR. Now I am considering upgrading to CCD. The question is which CCD is the best choice. With best choice I mean a good match performance wise and light enough that the 80ED can handle it. I am looking for a reasonably high resolution monochrome sensor for narrow band imaging. It seems necessary to get rid of at least some of the light pollution where I live.

I'd love to hear your opinions and experiences.

Michael

The usual agonizing is between Kodak chip size and Sony sensitivity and freedom from noise. Personally I don't think the noise is an issue because you can lose it completely in various ways (dither, darks, bad pixel maps...) 

The ED80 is not particularly short in focal length and NB targets are nebulae which can be quite large, so you might feel a little cramped with the Sony chips.

I would model a variety of cameras with your scope in planetarium software to see what will fit on each chip.

Olly

Archived