Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Question about observing location

Magrene

Hello everyone, so living on long island I figured there had to be a spot that had good dark skies for observation away from all of the suburban life. Did a bit of research. After some research I found that I can buy a permit to observe at a location on Fire Island about 30 mins away. The permit will be about 40$ for the whole year and the location looks like its really good. I used http://www.lightpollutionmap.info/to get light pollution info is this a good site for such a thing? Also given the map would the Milky Way be visible to the naked eye? Picture attached

post-44380-0-67194900-1435851700_thumb.p

If the milky way lies South, South East or East it should be visible - there seems to be little in either direction to give light pollution when observing that direction. Not sure about overspill from the North side.

It will not be pristine but certainly should be visible.

How did you find out about that place?

What is it "normally" ?

If the milky way lies South, South East or East it should be visible - there seems to be little in either direction to give light pollution when observing that direction. Not sure about overspill from the North side.

It will not be pristine but certainly should be visible.

How did you find out about that place?

What is it "normally" ?

Well I considered going to my town's beach but realized that the lot at night has large lights so started searching for some more spots. Looked up stargazing permits for the state parks here and it mentioned that parking lot included in a star gazing permit. When you mean normally im assuming you mean normally what is my light pollution when I observe. If that is the question then it is bad really bad. I live in a suburb so everything except for the southern sky is light polluted really bad. I have never seen the milky way before. The southern sky where I am while the best is still pretty washed out due to the overspill. My western sky is by far the worst most likely due to NYC.

To give you an idea of where I normally observe here is a shot of my town I live in the lower region more towards the water but still in the red. Then the other image is most of long islands light pollution with the desired observing spot circled with red

post-44380-0-99333100-1435860214_thumb.p

post-44380-0-50604000-1435860416_thumb.p

When I asked what is it "normally" I wondered if it was a nature reserve and so required a permit.

Getting it on Google Maps it appears there are minor roads etc there, actually may be big roads, my map has no scale on it

Looks like it should be fairly good, perhaps not ideal but it looks like a good find to have made.

Might be interesting to keep a look out for anyone else there with a scope. Wondering if others have found the place.

Do you get access to any of the other islands further along?

Looks like you can.

When I asked what is it "normally" I wondered if it was a nature reserve and so required a permit.

Getting it on Google Maps it appears there are minor roads etc there, actually may be big roads, my map has no scale on it

Looks like it should be fairly good, perhaps not ideal but it looks like a good find to have made.

Might be interesting to keep a look out for anyone else there with a scope. Wondering if others have found the place.

Do you get access to any of the other islands further along?

Looks like you can.

I could just drive there but the permit is only for a few different lots. Some on Jones Beach which is probably not a good choice in comparison to the aforementioned location. Here is a list of locations the permit is good for.

Jones Beach - West End 2 and Field 6 Hither Hills - Except July & August Montauk Point – Upper Parking Lot Robert Moses - Field 2 Gov. Alfred E. Smith/Sunken Meadow - Field 1 & Field 3 Wildwood – Main Parking Lot

It appears out of all those that location is best. I would be hesitant to test my luck with the officials in the area by going into areas the permit isn't for as they like to give tickets. The only better location from the permit would be Montauk point but that is a bit too far of a drive for me about 2hrs. I know from images I have seen online that on a good night the milky way is visible to the naked eye. 

Archived