SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Help selecting a scope

i recently purchased a Celestron AVX mount and plan to buy a scope in about 6 months when the wife's car is paid off. I recently borrowed a 102mm achromatic "planet Killer" scope from a friend to try out and it was actually much larger than I had expected considering I had been eyeing the 127mm apo scopes. I am thinking about starting with an 80mm refractor instead and am looking for some input on best scopes versus pricing. My primary goal is astrophotography. Thanks in advance.

What targets are you planning to photograph? What camera do you have to plan to use? How much light pollution is there when you plan to do this from? what sort of budget are you thinking for the scope and all the accessories you'll need?

James

I have a canon 5d-mk2 and a 30d. Neither is modified. Some planetary and hopefully some DSOs I have moderate light pollution but have access to dark sky viewing areas with the local astronomy club which I recently joined. Budget is moderate, say up to around 1500.00. I am currently researching autoguiding but still have a lot to learn about astrophotography. I have power tank , polar finder scope is on the way... Have my laptop and various astro photography software including byeos

Archived