SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

preparing cerium oxide

crashtestdummy

Hi Rich,

You can use  two pieces of ali foil to cover the mirror if needed with a good overlap. Warming  the lap up in water before cutting the channels will greatly reduce the chipping. Your lap does not have to be pretty as long as it has  good contact with the mirror before starting polishing. Can you post an image of what you have got.?..it may be OK with a little doctoring.

John 

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I went in the grinding room today to have a go at cutting channels with a warm knife and I could see a problem.it's been really hot down here,27℃ the last few days and I left the saw on top of my lap.you guessed it,melted into the lap.go I g to chip it all off again and slow melt the pitch with 2 oz of beeswax and have one last go at doing it the normal way but going to hot cut the channels and do the bevel that way too.Will do it this weekend and then update my blog sometime next week.

Archived