Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Got M101 in bins

Finally seen this one just now. Not good for the neck as it was virtually on the zenith, but the sky cleared nicely behind that rain (washed away the haze) and the moon isn't up yet. Enabled me to see it as a fairly large ghostly patch not unlike a smaller version of M33. 

M13 and M3 are good tonight as well

I've been looking for it on and off since I got the 25x70s in November; several attempts on moonless nights failed when it was only 40-50 degrees up even though I could see M82 at a similar altitude.

Suffice to say it surprised me how easily spotted it was at the zenith, it definitely seems like that is the key. Next task, M51...

M51 bagged tonight  :laugh:  Saw M101 overhead again, but was much more elusive than last night, pretty much averted vision only. Seems like a slight change in transparency can really affect that one. 

M66 and M65 in Leo are also visible in the 25x70s: saw 66 a couple of weeks ago but got 65 for the first time earlier this evening. It's definitely an averted vision object in these from my location. Now to mop up the other Ursa Major/Canes Venatici area Messiers before it's Scorpius and Co. season.

Archived