NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Suggestions - first time out since Spring

Assuming I can remember how to assemble my 'scope, what visual targets would be good for 10pm to midnight tonight? 130mm reflector, good views NEW, looking over houses and streetlights S. Moderate light pollution. Easy to find stuff to ease a rusty newbie back into it please :)

Hi Paul,

The double cluster just below Casseopeia at the top of Perseus constellation is a great star cluster looks good in 130mm - I think a quick look through your bino's for the two side-by-side clusters would help find them, or more toward the n/west if your view allows, M13 in hercules, or just above hercules M92, both nice globular clusters. I have found galaxies and stuff hard to see in the 130p scope but glob clusters can be just right for the fov in a 10mm EP.

Also around 11 the pleiades cluster in east, and jjupiter will just be poking its head up from the horizon - you may catch it just before midnight.

BTW, how do you rate the pentax bino's, as I looking to buy a pair?

Regards

Aenima

Cant miss out on M31. Though it will be around through winter so if there another object thats not going to be up to much longer id go for those first. But M31 is easy to find.

Thats a v good point. The top > shape of cassiopeia and the other side theres a < shape top of pegasus, in between these two pointers its visible in bino's and finders, I always follow pointer in cassiopeia acroos to the right.

Good luck.

Thanks guys - M31 and Double Cluster it is. I've got it set up and cooling and batteries in the Telrad so all good :-)

The Pentax bins are excellent, they are water resistant and shock proof so after a few camping trips over the Summer are pristine. They are pretty weighty but lying on my back on a rug they've been deployed on camping trips. One minute observing, rest for 10 secs and repeat! I used them and the tripod for the Venus transit in June with great results - very briefly good an excellent view through patchy cloud. Overall very happy with my choice.

I would suggest Lyra. You have the double-double (epsilon-Lyrae), a nice open cluster centered on the star Sulafat (southernmost corner of the parallelogram that makes up Lyra), the Ring nebula (between Sheliak and Sulafat), and nearby is the globular cluster M-56.

We were out last night doing the same activity with 80 of my astronomy students! :) You can find my Lyra activity <HERE>.

Dan

M31 and Double Cluster found! M31 just a squashed cotton wool ball, expected better from our nearest galaxy, double cluster quite majestic jewellery, both very enjoyable :) Nice to get out and find stuff. Ad Astra - thanks, Lyra will be my next focus, looks like clear skies on Friday.

Thats great, glad you found your targets. :smiley:

After changing from a goto mount to an EQ I was lost at first without the technology, but having found a few targets recently using stellarium and fnderscope only I was quite chuffed to have managed it - to be honest I was spoilt by the convenience of tapping objects into a keypad and taking a quick look to see whats there. When I spent more time at the EP I had better view of the things I found, appreciating them all the more. :smiley:

Found Ring nebula last night, very pleased with myself ATM. :grin:

Good luck on your searches,

Regards

Aenima

• 2 weeks later...

Good to hear you getting back in the swing of things. I use Stellarium to find rough locations for the objects im going to look for. Doesnt always help like last night, looked for 3, found 0 lol.

Yes I use Stellarium too, print out in inverse colour and my telrad does the rest :)

Being so new to astronomy (I only started this year) this is my first Autumn season so getting to grips with the new reference constellations. I usually print an overview from Stellarium with a clear constellation I know I can find naked eye then a more zoomed in view with telrad circles on to get to my target with the scope.

I have often thought of Goto technology, but I can't justify the expense, and I'm not in the market for a new scope. I got enough stick from 'er indoors when my TAL arrived :)

Archived