A more accessible mount? (Motorised v. non)

I'm new to the forum and could really use a bit of advice so hopefully someone could offer some help.

Well I am wont to rant and ramble so let me explain a bit about my situation. I bought a Skywatcher Skymax 127 two years ago and really hoped it would enable me to get in to astronomy but in hindsight I feel that my over-eagerness as a newbie pushed me in to a direction (with equipment) that didn't really fit my situation.

I was really drawn in by the idea of a mount that would automatically track to compensate for the Earth's rotation (especially as I wanted to hook up my DSLR to the 'scope) but I didn't appreciate how difficult it would be for me to lug the scope, the tripod, the mount and the power supply outside. See, I'm disabled and have limited physical mobility; it's basically as good as impossible for me to get the gear outside and set up. On the rare day that I am strong enough it's invariably too cloudy and on perfect days I'm invariably too exhausted.

This has lead to a situation where I've quite literally used the telescope about half a dozen times in two years. I guess I got myself in to a situation where I simply avoided even trying to set things up because it was just easier that way.

Well my closest friend works with the environment and is an avid birdwatcher. She's tried to take me out to a couple of local hides and I ended up buying a pair of binoculars; 10x50s to try and give me the means to point the things toward the night sky as well as just birds. Looking up at the stars with them has begun to make me feel strongly about finding a way to get to use my telescope.

So! I was thinking that instead of using an electric mount and its associated gubbins I could perhaps explore the idea of getting a mechanical equatorial mount. My reasoning is simply that there's fewer items to carry (although I appreciate that equatorial mounts look heavy) so in theory I could set things up with two trips outside as opposed to four.

Given that I am a newbie in this hobby I can't make particularly educated decisions and was wondering if someone could help shed advice on these few questions:

If you take the need for carrying a power-supply and the motorised-arm as 'complications' (because of carrying them) are equatorial mounts easier to set up than motorised alt-az mounts?

On that note, do you keep the counterweighted arm attached to the legs when you store the mount?

Are equatorial mounts easy to adjust; both to set up and to navigate the sky with?

If you had limited mobility and had hands-on familiarity with various types of mounts would you rather commit to using a mechanical system rather than an electrical one?

I know that many equatorial mounts can be fitted with motorised systems at a later date but are mechanical mounts 'good enough' to take your first steps in to astrophotography with?

The mount I have now is:

Supa-Trak HEAVY-DUTY MOTORISED ALT-AZIMUTH MOUNT & TRIPOD - Telescopes UK: Telescopes & Telescope Accessories in your only London shop

Whereas I am asking this question with either a Skywatcher EQ2, 3-2 or 5 in mind.

Lastly; I can't access the Classifieds section for a while (an understandable measure) but in general does astronomy equipment have good resale value? To help afford something like an EQ5 mount I would probably have to try and sell my existing mount.

For what it's worth, I have been enjoying reading around related topics on the forum but when there's a number of queries floating around in my noggin I like to be able to ask them as opposed to trying to piece together answers to other people's queries!

Many thanks,

Hi Miller,

I afraid that DSLR imaging seems to need lots of kit ("complications"), not least of which is a good solid equatorial mount with at least the RA axis driven. Lots of trips and a fair bit of weight :)

I'm afraid I can't offer much advice for you, but you'll find this book, Making Every Photon Count (by SGL's very own steppenwolf), helpful in getting started. It's full of advice aimed at the imaging novice, including choosing the right equipment, tips 'n' tricks and lots of other vital stuff.

It emphasizes the robustness of the mount, seeing as it's the foundation that the rest of your imaging will be built on.

Also, the imaging section is full of experienced, talented folk who, I'm sure, will be more than happy to share advice and guidance with you.

Sorry I can't help more.

I know what you mean about setting up, last time I was out it took me nearly an hour by which time it had clouded over.

Thats a pretty heavy scope you are lugging about, im guessing you have no means of storing it outside the house? say a shed or garage. You could look at getting a scope dolly or trolley which is basically a set of wheels for the tripod.

The extreme solution would be for you to sell this scope and look for a lighter alternative perhaps a refractor of some kind.

Lastly as for imaging an equatorial mount with tracking will give you longer exposure times, but the imaging experts reckon a EQ5 is the minimum mount for decent images, this mount is extremely heavy. Personally I would go with a tracking mount every time, its a pain having to manual adjust the telescope when you are trying to view.

Good luck with your astronomy

Archived