saturn disease

My first views of Saturn have hooked me-never seen the rings before.Low in the sky,the sighting was difficult with my wobbly GEM,and 9mm GSO Plossl. Later in the year,would a TV Radians make a great difference,and could I Barlow it? Want to be convinced that a significant investment like that would benefit my present viewing through the little Celestron as well as the later aspiration,a 200p Newt.Dob.

Hi.

Saturn does come up from about 9:00 pm, you say Saturn was low in the sky so am I right in assuming you were looking around 9-10 o clock pm? If so, you will get a lot of lp so try viewing Saturn from 11:00 pm onwards when it is much higher, I caught Saturn the other night about 11:30 and with my stock 10mm ep and my scope (see sig) it looked good, made out 3 moons and the Cassini division (sp?)

With regards to your current kit, sorry, no idea, still a newbie learning this stuff myself.

Hi Davehunt

With a Celestron 130 you could try a barlow with the 9mm, its still within the recommended maximum magnification for that size scope (260x). Of course an expensive high power EP always helps with viewing comfort and performance :-).

Im guessing your scope is 650mm focal length, so a 9mm eyepeiece gives you 72x magnification. With barlow gives you 144x.

To be honest, your view depends on the sky conditions at the time. Sometimes I just stick with my 10mm or 6mm without going any further if the sky is turbulent or the planet is nearer the horizon where your looking through lots more atmosphere. Other times i;ve managed to go above and beyond the recommended magnification with fab views.

Matt

I hear what you're saying-and I haven't had the best of conditions yet. I just wonder if investment in high quality glass like Televue will make a lot of difference when conditions are good.Nobody seems to want to commit themselves to an opinion about Barlowing a Televue radians,for instance.

The Radian would improve the image but not I suspect be worth the price with the scope you have.

To barlow the radian would also mean a good barlow, which is additional cost. By the time you have a radian and a good barlow you will have exceeded the price of the scope.

Which radian? if you were thinking of about 8mm then perhaps a TV plossl, they do an 8mm but nothing smaller, so either that is the max magnification or you barlow the plossl. An 11mm TV plossl and a good 2x barlow may be better, 59x and 118x, also a less expensive combination. Later addition of a 15mm plossl would then give another reasonable set of options, 43x and 86x.

Is the scope well collimated?

For the scope in question I would consider the plossls as an alternative and less expensive route.

Thanks for that;I have a Celestron Ultima barlow-is that considered "decent"?Also,my firm intention is to upgrade my scope to a Skywatcher 200,so want to be buying eyepieces that will enhance the improved light gathering power of an 8" reflector.

Hi Davehunt,

I think better skies will do more for you than you can imagine. Wait until you have observed Saturn! (always use the proper spelling! :)) higher in the sky with clearer air before you think about new kit. With good skies, you should easily be able to barlow your 9mm - perhaps even a 6mm (it can't hurt your scope, can it!). I had one of my best views of Saturn! about 2AM one morning an hour after a horrible cloudburst! Skies cleared and it got very cold as the front moved in - but the viewing was 'once in a lifetime' class.

Good luck to you, let us know how you do!

Dan

Hi Prof! I take it the exclamation mark After Saturn is the desirable "spelling" ! After my brief wobbly glimpses of Saturn! I stand corrected-in fact my head buzzed with exclamation marks for some time afterward. I taught English in school once upon a lifetime,so picked up bad habits from my students-that's my defence. I will wait for clearer skies, but I am still secretly saving a bit of pension toward a decent eyepiece.....and a device that will blow out the street light that *****the sky in my southerly aspect. Never been mailed by a real scientist before. I am suitably honoured.

Never been mailed by a real scientist before. I am suitably honoured.

Dear friend,

You mustn't go on that way - it just isn't done! A 'real scientist' is more often than not a fellow who's lucky enough to have found a way to get paid for a hobby he just won't leave alone anyway. :(

As for me, I'd much rather be known as a 'good teacher' than a 'real scientist'. I've done my share of research, of course, but I've spent a great deal more time in the classroom than in the lab. I happily take my pay for teaching folks basic astronomy and physics and how to use a telescope to explore the universe. I have about 200 astronomy students personally each year all told, although a lot more than that learn astronomy using my books. (I do astronomy books for younger kids - see my sig.) Actually - I've much more in common with you as a teacher than as a scientist, and on that note...

The honor's all mine! :)

Dan

Archived