NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

CGEM or ATLAS EQ-G maximum exposure time for Deep Space Imaging

cpartsenidis

Good afternoon to everyone!

After much research, I've decided on my OTA which will be a Skywatcher Equinox 120ED APO and now looking for the much important mount.

I've read from various forums that the mount is the most important item when talking about deep space photography and this is why I'm looking into spending a good amount of money for a semi-pro mount that will allow me to mount future telescopes as well.

My conclusion is either the CGEM or ATLAS eg-G.

Putting aside their minor differences (mainly their motors), I read that you can not really perform long time exposures with these mounts, something that really made me worried me!

I'm not sure if this is true or perhaps you can't perform long exposures for deep space objects, but I'd like to hear from the experienced users what exactly limitations we have with such mounts and if there is any good resource (book or site) where I'll be able to learn more about this topic.

Thanks once again Stargazers :icon_salut:

Archived