Eyepieces

Well, it looks like the filtering requirement might be sorted for now (variable polarizing for the win! - crosses fingers - and thanks for the help and reassurance with that), so I've been getting a headache looking up EP's instead of through them. :)

I'm going to need to put a 2" star diagonal on the ST120 pretty soon, so was going to go with a generic dielectric 1/10th wave diagonal.

I'm thinking of one 2" EP, a Skywatcher PanaView, but what to get? The 32mm or the 38mm? This one EP will be the primary reason for the 2" diagonal being obtained first (likely get the most use).

I don't mind eventually fitting a 2 speed Crayford, but would the standard R&P light path mess up with a 38mm and would a 32mm be better? From what I have read, they seem to work pretty nice with an F5. 32mm = 18.75x mag; 38mm = 15.79x mag.

At the other end of the scale, I've read good things about the William Optics SPL. I'm thinking the 6mm. Again good eye relief, and seem to work ok with F5, and 6mm = 100x mag, and not excessive with the ST120.

Then there's the TAL 25mm, 20mm, and 15mm LER EP's (24x, 30x, 40x mags - I really wish they did a 10mm LER, but haven't come across one yet).

So the crux then, is the following a logical and sensible mix as a good core set of 3 reasonable quality EP's? I think I'll need to fill the gap between 40x and 100x with something though no panic with that.

One of the Skywatcher PanaViews looks solid, and I suspect this will turn out to be the one eyepiece that's going to live in the 'scope the most, and I want to buy this as soon as I have a diagonal to use it in.

TAL LER 15mm as a Midrange?

Then the William Optics SPL 6mm?

Just to get an order of purchases roughly established in my head as I'm getting close to ordering the 'scope now (end of this week!;)).

Many thanks in anticipation.

Archived