Maintenance and care of Telescopes

Hi all

I've been looking around and I can't seem to find any decent guides to care, maintenance and storage of a telescope.

Hints and Tips About the Care and Maintenance of Telescopes, Eyepieces, Oculars and Accessories. is the only thing I found, advising me not to clean my optics :).

I currently store my scope (reflector) and mount in a cool, dry dark room in its box, flat on the floor all wrapped up in bubble wrap with the cap securely on. Eyepieces are stored upright in a little box I have with separators so they don't knock against each other and can remain in their covers. I have no idea the best way to store a mount.

But I've no idea, apart from keeping it as dust free and at an cool, even temperature as possible what else I should be doing. Does anyone have any good pointers? I know this may not be at the glamourous end of astronomy, but I'm about to upgrade my kit and would like to be in good working order for a really long time :eek:

Thanks in advance!

I always leave the locks off on the RA and Dec axis. If you happen to bump against the mount it will tend rotate not try to fall over.

Good point, but remember that it's much more important to have the locks loose when transporting the mount - so that the gears aren't strained by the stresses that inevitably occur whilst carrying it.

Archived