Astronomy course

Hi everyone

I'm always had an bit of an interest in the night sky and have decided to take up the hobby. Haven't gotten a telescope yet as i want to wait until I know a bit more about the subject before I buy one. I also have an interest in the theory behind astronomy like how stars and planets form so I'm looking to do a course in astronomy.

Looking at the web I came across online courses at the university of central lancashire. The courses look quite detailed and I was hoping somebody here had done some of them and could give me feedback on the course content. I was just wondering

How many hours a week each course takes

Whats the course assesment like. Are you required to write essays or is it more problem solving.

Are there any online forums for students and are they very active with plenty of discussion.

Is the course based on the theory of planet and star formation etc or does it include practical elements like chosing and using a telescope.

A weekend at the University's Alston Observatory is mentioned. Is this a practical work weekend and what was done.

If anyone can help with these questions I'd be gratefull.

Mick.

Hi!

I have done several of their courses. I did the Intro to Astro first, which I would recommend. I also did Cosmology, History of Astro, Sun and Earth CLimate, plus Galaxies with Liverpool John Moore's and Radio Astro at Jodrell bank. Essays only appeared in History (and one in Cosmology). No prob for me since I was an English teacher at one time. The rest was problem solving and calculation. They are superb courses with a wonderful staff who bend over backwards to help. There are student forums too. Radio astro was very difficult at the end but fascinating.

I use much of what I learned in the short Introduction to Astronomy that I now teach at Les Granges to any guests who want it, though mainly I have folks wanting to learn imaging these days.

I can't recommend these courses too highly. They are incredible value and are well subsidized nationally so you pay a fraction of the real cost.

I'm in France but if you would like to ring me for more of a chat about them do feel free. I'm on 0033 4 92 66 22 57. Speak slowly if Monique answers!

Olly

www.sunstarfrance.com

Astronomy 161 (Prof. Pogge Au2007)

You have a complete podcast course on that link, in case you rather learn from home at your own pace. The classes are from Columbus University in Ohio and you get a professional astronomer to teach you stuff for free.

The real thing may be better but for those who don't have the time to go to a course in fixed schedules or just like to do stuff at their own pace (whether faster or slower then normal), that podcast is great.

Archived