NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

300d modified

I want to touch wood before I say this, but after some frustration I managed to remove the filter from my 300d :).

I've been thinking about this for a while and was almost going for a 1000d and paying for the filter to be removed, but I thought that as my 300d was quite old, was fairly cheap, there were excellent instructions on the internet, and I am a proffessional electronics engineer, that I would have a go myself.:o

Canon Digital Rebel 300D IR Filter Removal Modification and Peltier Cooling Plans -by Gary Honis

I followed the instructions to the letter and they were extremely clear. I was very careful and performed the mod on a grounded table. It was actually very straight forward, everything went to plan.......that is until I'd finished and switched the camera on......it was dead!:)

Ok I thought, perhaps a connector is not seated properly, so I disassembled and reasembled it.....but still nothing. I was getting a bit worried at this point, but thought I'd try a couple more times, but still nothing.

So I thought that's it, and decied it was time for an upgrade, so I ordered a 1000d to be mod'd at Astronomiser.

The next day, I gave the 300d another final chance, disassembled and reassembled again. Still nothing.

I tried pressing all the buttons, shaking it, flicking the power on and off, still nothing. :grin:

Then I just happened to pressed the flash button, and suddenly it sprang into life!! :( How the %$&%^*& did that happen?

So I tried a few on/off cycles, wiggles and shakes, it still works fine.

The next decision was what to do about the 1000d I'd ordered. I decided to save myself some money and to cancel it plus the Astronomiser mod (with apologies), and to only invest in a CLS EOS clip filter for its performance and to keep dust off the sensor.

So the upshot is, that I now have a 300d with the filter removed, plus I can strip down and reassemble a 300d in 20 minutes flat!!:D

Archived