NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NexStar11GPS Hand Controller Issue

Hey everyone,

I am a college student from south central Michigan, and I'm having a problem with the telescope I'm using for my summer research. I have been using a college-owned NexStar11GPS for over a year with no issues, but recently the hand controller has started freezing up. More specifically, whenever I try to activate the telescope motors for any reason (alignment, turn on tracking, move it, etc.), the HC immediately stops and displays whatever message was last on screen--no error messages are displayed--and I can only break the freeze by toggling the telescope power off and then back on.

What fixes I have tried so far:

-Unplugging/turning off power for 10-20s and then restoring power

-Checked all external connections/connectors for loose/broken wires, bent pins, etc.

-Reset HC to Factory Settings (would have tried reinstalling/updating firmware as well, but the current firmware version is nonupgradeable)

-Replaced AC adapter and verified that its power output matches the maximum requirements of the scope (12V, 2.5A).

I also plan to inspect the internal circuit boards in the scope and HC to ensure that all connectors and boards are well-seated, but if anyone has any other ideas/suggestions, I would be very grateful.

-Coderedd (yes, that is my proper screen name. I couldn't get the double 'd' when I registered)

More specifically, whenever I try to activate the telescope motors for any reason (alignment, turn on tracking, move it, etc.), the HC immediately stops

Sounds like the power supply is inadequate. Did you try a 12V power tank? Did you try replacing the power cord?

Archived