CCD Imaging using observational filters

Hello everybody

I have recently bought myself a new telescope (NexStar 8 SE) and a DMK 21AU04.AS CCD camera. My intention was to capture some true colour images of deep sky objects, however I have now blown my budget and cannot really spare the extra money for a LRGB filter set.

So, I have been thinking: Does anybody have any experience or thoughts regarding using observing filters?

I was thinking about using a RED (Wratten #25), GREEN (Wratten #56) and a BLUE (Wratten #38A) together with a IR blocking filter.

Any help would be gratefully received :-)

Many Thanks

I'm sure it's been done, but if it's those particular filters you've mentioned, I'm not sure.

I've also got a mono camera and I didn't have a RGB filter set for a few months when I started because I worked on the theory I'd only be giving myself something extra to learn whilst trying to learn everything else! Perhaps you could see how it goes, learn the ropes etc etc and pick up a set of these when you have a bit of spare cash: RGB Filters & Filter Sets - Baader RGB Filter Set with IR Cut . I use these and they certainly do the trick if you're starting out.

Tony..

Archived