GS server or Synscan w11 app for SA GTi and Windows PC?

GTom

I am setting up a computer for my recently acquired SA GTi. No asiair, as my cameras are non-ZWO, neither my focuser. Going with NINA.

I am perfectly satisfied with the GS server for my home HEQ5, but noticed that the last version was released in 2023. Would I be better served by e.g. the Synscan App?

Regarding hardware, I intend to connect the computer directly to the mount via a USB-B cable and maybe wifi. No fan of custom FTDI cables i am afraid, if possible I want to use a cable I can replace every corner from New Zealand to Greenland.

8 hours ago, GTom said:

I am setting up a computer for my recently acquired SA GTi. No asiair, as my cameras are non-ZWO, neither my focuser. Going with NINA.

I am perfectly satisfied with the GS server for my home HEQ5, but noticed that the last version was released in 2023. Would I be better served by e.g. the Synscan App?

Regarding hardware, I intend to connect the computer directly to the mount via a USB-B cable and maybe wifi. No fan of custom FTDI cables i am afraid, if possible I want to use a cable I can replace every corner from New Zealand to Greenland.

I always ended up running the Synscan app on a phone. If I ran it on the same PC as PHD2 it would drop connections. My assumption is that it's because of the very poor 2 core laptop I am using. I just never got chance to test it more.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GTom said:

Apparently you are not alone! https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/867720-synscan-app-issues-connecting-to-nina/

Will try GS server then.

When ever I had this kind of issue I would run the Synscan app on a moble phone. Let the PC/Laptop connect to the app on the phone via the Ascom Driver and the app would then talk to the mount. Of course all 3 devices have to be on the same Wifi. and to make things easier and still have internet I used the station mode of the WiFI to join to my Home wifi network. Advantage is you also now have a mobile "Hand Controller" that also populates the location and time/date automatically

That's a bit too many stops for the data in my book. I prefer to wire the mount directly to the PC.

Just tried: the GS server setup I made for my heq5 connects to the SA GTi via a bog standard USB-A to USB-B cable fine, moves the mount. I only had to select the right COM port. Obviously clouds are in, not much chance for an actual performance test yet.