Such a good weekend

ckp82

With a few good cloudless nights ive managed to get a few more targets under my belt and have learnt alot in the process. My newest additions are the double cluster, M13, M57 and M31. 

20240811_223224_Stacked10_C14_30.0s_Bin1_20240811-223222.thumb.jpg.a32ac68e5000c81979c3e8319fd81c1d.jpg20240811_221941_Stacked20_M13_30.0s_Bin1_20240811-221939.thumb.jpg.a12eca9f35e8544c11f6d21efc7fadf5.jpg20240811_220356_Stacked32_M57_30.0s_Bin1_20240811-220354.thumb.jpg.caab90ef5faed593f61aa691adccfe95.jpg20240811_225644_Stacked35_M31_30.0s_Bin1_20240811-225642.thumb.jpg.275eaa9a196eddf9ac5108fc3ddada38.jpg

• Like 3

Nice images. I was out last night just star gazing but seeing what you've been posting is making me want to get the scope out again.

It looks like you might be getting some chromatic aberration (CA) around the brighter stars. I think you said you are using an ST80 which doesn't have ED glass so that may be the reason. The Baader Semi APO filter or the Baader Fringe Killer filter should reduce this. Alternatively you could try the Baader Contrast Boost filter which should reduce CA and may also help reduce the light pollution you are seeing (although that seems much better in the images above).

• Like 2

@PeterC65 any chance I get at the moment I'm trying to observe and learn.

I do use an st80 and have been on a bit of a shopping spree at the moment so I will put the filter on my future shopping list. I think I'm gonna need a filter wheel too with the amount of filters I'm beginning to need.

I have filter wheels for both visual and EAA. The EAA filter wheel is electronic which makes it very easy to switch from indoors. I have clear (to keep things parfocal), UV / IR cut, dual narrow band, IR pass (for planets), and blackout (for taking darks) fitted to it. To be honest I mostly use the UV / IR cut filter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterC65 said:

I have filter wheels for both visual and EAA. The EAA filter wheel is electronic which makes it very easy to switch from indoors. I have clear (to keep things parfocal), UV / IR cut, dual narrow band, IR pass (for planets), and blackout (for taking darks) fitted to it. To be honest I mostly use the UV / IR cut filter.

I have the uv/ir and have the dual narrowband on order. Now soon to be the ca filter

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PeterC65 said:

Which dual narrowband do you have Peter? That's next on my shopping list. I just bought a new 585 today. I'll never learn 😔.

1 hour ago, bosun21 said:

Which dual narrowband do you have Peter? That's next on my shopping list. I just bought a new 585 today. I'll never learn 😔.

I'm currently using the Optolong L-eNhance filter. Previously I used the Astronomik UHC filter but that doesn't cut out IR as its intended for visual use.

Swapping from Astronomik to Optolong meant changing all of my EAA filters as I wanted to keep the wheel parfocal, so it was quite a big deal. Stars were a bit washed out with the Astronomik UHC filter (probably due to the excess of IR) but with the L-eNhance the images don't seem so bright. It's still relatively early days thoough.

• Thanks 1