NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SH2-91 (Ha+OIII)

AstroGS

This was a target that I came up by lack while I was browsing the new images in Astrobin.

SH2-91 is part of the larger Cygnus Loop and a remnant of a supernova explosion that occurred around 10,000 to 20,000 years ago. It features intricate filaments and delicate structures that emit a striking glow, primarily in the Ha primarily wavelength, as well as OIII.

It took me just over 42 hours to capture Ha + OIII data of 600 sec subs, using the RedCat61 + ASI2600MM + Antlia 3nm Ha + Chroma 5nm OIII filters.

Processed in PI and PS. 

I am sharing the full size final image + a cropped one that I personally liked. Please feel free to add any comments or suggestions.

FULL_SH2_91.thumb.jpg.d80ce5b50ec764d6818479be9ab650c5.jpg

Image74_clone.thumb.jpg.29941f3e96b0fe2426e155120378a3ea.jpg

is part of the larger Cygnus Loop and is

Edited by AstroGS
  • Like 14

I actually re-worked it and combined it as an HOO - personally this looks more natural vs the previous ones.

Of course any suggestion or criticism is welcome 😉

ImageNewV2.thumb.jpg.cf2c94d6c703573bc9dcc7e59ec93f31.jpg

ImageNewV2Cropped.thumb.jpg.3ebb60c9680e89f32ada7c59e257c5a0.jpg

Edited by AstroGS
  • Like 7

Both renditions are great, nice detail in the whisps. 42 hours of 600s subs suggests this must be a pretty faint part of the Cygnus loop! Wow.

Usually I’m more for “natural” colour images but actually I really like the original rendition in this case too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WolfieGlos said:

Both renditions are great, nice detail in the whisps. 42 hours of 600s subs suggests this must be a pretty faint part of the Cygnus loop! Wow.

Usually I’m more for “natural” colour images but actually I really like the original rendition in this case too.

Interestingly, the 2nd rendition was not just a re-coloured version of the first but, I worked it from scratch, using the Gradient Correction process as well as the manual stretch process, which resulted better colour depth and a more 3D effect. It shows that both processing steps can make a huge difference in the final image.

p.s. of course the 2nd image is processed differently re the colours combination.

• Like 1