ASCOM and the V5 handset.

bosun21

I can't get my go to dobsonian to slew with ASCOM which is due to the ASCOM driver being for V3/4 handsets. Is there any solution for this yet? I read an old thread discussing this very thing from 2021 and it doesn't appear that there's a work around yet and no new driver for the V5 handset. Would an EQMOD serial cable work with Alt/Az ?.

OK just to clarify this

• V3/V4 handsets don't have a USB port, they have an RJ11 port.  When supplied as part of a goto mount they came with a long grey cable terminated with an RJ11 plug at one end and a DB9 serial plug at the other.  If you had an old PC that still had serial ports then you simply connected the cable directly between the handset and the PC.  This would allow handset firmware to be updated, or when in PC-DIRECT mode act as a pass through to control the mount via EQMOD or similar.  
  • If you had a V3/V4 handset but had a modern computer with out a serial port than a USB to true RS232 adapter would be needed.  A driver for the chipset would also need installing on the PC, and this was often supplied with the device.  This adapter should never be used to connect the RJ11 directly to the mount's handset socket - it will blow the motor board.
  • The speed of the serial port when used to connect a PC to the handset will be either 9600 or 115200 bits per second.
  • On newer V5 handsets and standard USB A to B cable can be used.  From memory it uses a Prolific or CH340 chipset.  If its a Prolific 2303 try the attached 64bit driver.  The PC should see the handset as just another com port, and as such its worth checking the bits per second rate and try both 9600 and 115200
  • If you are trying to connect the mount to a PC via the handset, then from my experience the handset needs to be in PC-DIRECT mode to allow pass through of the commands to the mount.
  • If your mount has a USB port then there is no need to use the handset at all.  Connect a USB  A-B cable between the PC and the mount.  Under device manager the PC will see the mount as a new COM port.  It will use 115200 bits per second in this arrangement.

PL2303_64bit_Installer.zip

4 minutes ago, malc-c said:

OK just to clarify this

• V3/V4 handsets don't have a USB port, they have an RJ11 port.  When supplied as part of a goto mount they came with a long grey cable terminated with an RJ11 plug at one end and a DB9 serial plug at the other.  If you had an old PC that still had serial ports then you simply connected the cable directly between the handset and the PC.  This would allow handset firmware to be updated, or when in PC-DIRECT mode act as a pass through to control the mount via EQMOD or similar.  
  • If you had a V3/V4 handset but had a modern computer with out a serial port than a USB to true RS232 adapter would be needed.  A driver for the chipset would also need installing on the PC, and this was often supplied with the device.  This adapter should never be used to connect the RJ11 directly to the mount's handset socket - it will blow the motor board.
  • The speed of the serial port when used to connect a PC to the handset will be either 9600 or 115200 bits per second.
  • On newer V5 handsets and standard USB A to B cable can be used.  From memory it uses a Prolific or CH340 chipset.  If its a Prolific 2303 try the attached 64bit driver.  The PC should see the handset as just another com port, and as such its worth checking the bits per second rate and try both 9600 and 115200
  • If you are trying to connect the mount to a PC via the handset, then from my experience the handset needs to be in PC-DIRECT mode to allow pass through of the commands to the mount.
  • If your mount has a USB port then there is no need to use the handset at all.  Connect a USB  A-B cable between the PC and the mount.  Under device manager the PC will see the mount as a new COM port.  It will use 115200 bits per second in this arrangement.

PL2303_64bit_Installer.zip 431.24 kB · 0 downloads

I think the handset situation is more complicated. Both Ian and I have new Sky-Watcher mounts. My AZ-EQ5 came with a V4 handset running V4.xx firmware, but it does have a USB port. Ian's GOTO Dob came with a V5 handset running V6.xx firmware. I can connect to my handset via USB and ASCOM but there is no ASCOM driver for the V5 handset.

Also while my new AZ-EQ5 mount has a USB port on the mount, it is for EQMOD only (it avoids the need for an EQMOD cable), which is only useful in EQ mode. As I use the mount in AZ mode it means that the only way to connect to it is via the USB port on the handset.

Regarding PC Direct mode, this mode is needed to connect to the handset via the SynScan Pro app, but to connect via ASCOM directly the handset must not be in PC Direct mode.

21 minutes ago, malc-c said:

You asked about using a USB cable to connect the handset - what's the wifi got to do with this ??

Nothing. It’s a new 10” dobsonian which has the USB port in the handset only and not on the mount itself like the EQ mounts.