NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

IC1396 Elelphant's Trunk with L-eXtreme

Sarek

I'm in awe of the quality of some of the photos posted on here and mine isn't a patch on those but I was quite pleased with the results from my first go with the L-eXtreme filter I recently aquired.

This image (processed in DSS and PI) used 4hrs of data using 5 minute subs + Flats + Dark Flats. I was guiding with an ASIAir Mini under what I estimate to be Bortle 4 skies.

I didn't do much extra processing other than the basics but perhaps I could try working on the larger star halos?

It's been a few months since I've done any astrophotography andfound myself having to relearn quite a bit - written down a few notes this time!

Autosave002_clone_ABE-01.thumb.jpeg.7ccecf247915e627e6af0152ed46adb4.jpeg

• Like 5

If you have PI then starnet2 process will create star mask for you to process stars separately (if you didn't do this already?).

The nebula is quire noisy and stars have a green cast.  I had a quick play Topaz denoise on the neb and Affinity Photo for hue, level, B&C on the star mask- hope you don't mind.

Simon

Autosave002_etrunk_xstars_TpzSN_pnt_smsk(cbal_lvl_bc).thumb.jpg.9e652c7d4d950ec117f00948a28abb5c.jpg

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Sarek said:

Thanks Simon - I like what you did with it.

I've also been having a play this evening with a star reduction script from cosmicphotos.com. Its quite easy to use with plenty of options 

ElephantsHead.jpg.3da51aa3af84a779c166beb5c8c40d11.jpg

Much prefer this version, well done! 

• Like 1