NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Nexus DSC Catalogues

I have a beloved Nexus DSC which I use across three mounts (AZ-EQ6, AYO2, AZ-GTi). Serge has just supplied me with some new firmware to fix a few slewing/tracking bugs, and as he warned, its settings have been restored to defaults. This has given me an opportunity to re-review the included list of 60-odd separate catalogues of objects.

The catalogues are:

Abell PNs; ACO S; ACO; ADS; Arakelian; ARP; Asterisms; Barnard; Bayer Stars; Berkeley OCs; Bright Asteroids; Bright Stars; Caldwell; CGCG; CGCS Stars; Collinder; Comets; Common Named; Critical List Asteroids; Czernik OCs; Distant Asteroids; Dolidze OCs; ESO; F Struve doubles (A); F Struve doubles (B); F Struve doubles; Flamsteed Stars; GCVS; HCG Groups; HCG; Henize PNs; Henry Draper; Herschel; Hipparcos Stars; IC; J Herschel doubles; King; Kohoutek PNs; LBN; Lynga OCs; Markarian; MCG; Melotte; Messier; Minkowski; Misc PNs; Named Stars; NGC; O Struve doubles (A); O Struve doubles; Palomar GCs; Perek Kohoutek; PGC; Pismis OCs; PNs; RFGC; Ruprecht OCs; SAO Stars; Sharpless; Stock; Sun & Planets; Terzan GCs; Trumpier; UGCA; UGC; Washington Double Star.

It's possible to "tick-in" or exclude any of these catalogues to appear when you press "find". It's also possible to specify a completely different selection for the "search within x degrees of here" function. Very clever design.

I'm curious, what do other users of Nexus DSC include/exclude and how do they use them? So far I've included some obvious ones, Messier, Solar System, NGC, SAO, Bright Stars (Harvard I think, e.g. HR424 = Polaris), Named Stars and some others. But some catalogues are huge, and many overlap so that when searching a given area you get multiple entries for same objects.

Cheers, Magnus