First Orion neb with DSLR and C80

rikyuu

hi,

here's my first Orion nebula (and as it happens the Running man) with my newly aquired (but quite old!) Canon 300d and new C80-ED. 5 subs at 30sec each with fairly rough polar alignment.

Not sure where the grainy vertical lines come from, any ideas? Slight vigneting as the 1.25" LP filter isn't quite large enough for the FOV.

Still, rather pleased with it for a first off and happy to have captured the running man in the process.

Thanks for looking.

post-14666-133877358315_thumb.jpg

HI Rikyuu,

It's Readout noise.

You need to take Bias frames by covering the scope and the camera viefinder and taking loads of shots at the fastest possible shutter speed and the same iso setting that you took the light frames and addign them to the file list in DSS...

Billy...

HI Rikyuu,

It's Readout noise.

You need to take Bias frames by covering the scope and the camera viefinder and taking loads of shots at the fastest possible shutter speed and the same iso setting that you took the light frames and addign them to the file list in DSS...

Billy...

ah, that's what it is, many thanks. I'm not very good at taking the time for bias and dark frames as I'm always in a rush unfortunately :lol:. But one day I'll have the time:hello2:

You could still take your bias frames now and add them into the mix... Darks are better taken at the same tempertaure as the lights ...

You could also use Noel Carbonis astro actions to clean up the image...

Tried it but it would work better on the tiff or a higher res jpeg...

Billy...

You could still take your bias frames now and add them into the mix... Darks are better taken at the same tempertaure as the lights ...

You could also use Noel Carbonis astro actions to clean up the image...

Tried it but it would work better on the tiff or a higher res jpeg...

Billy...

That's a good point Billy, thanks. Could be a good time to try out some bias frames.

I haven't had too much success with NC tools, due to my lack of expertise. Which one (or combination) do you think would help with the verticle lines? (ps. I still have the TIFFs to work with as the original was RAW).

Archived