Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Adding a Imaging Newt - focuser upgrade.

Hello all!

Recently decided to add an 8" scope to my imaging scope collection, and settled on the TS Photon 8 F4. It has arrived, and so far everything is going smoothly getting it all put together, collimated, and getting all my crap attached and cable managed.

However.. this focuser is awful. Of all of my triplets, I almost became used to a very heavy, solid focuser that does not wobble, and no matter how much I pull or push, it stays in place. This stock focuser I can pull out completely with 2-3lbs of force, and with the camera attached I saw it slide out of place. Unfortunately the tension screws are only locks, and so there is no way to get this to be more stable.

Also, those were natively compatible with the ZWO EAF, which I almost entirely rely on nowadays with my automated setup. I use the ASIAIR - so I can't use anything BUT the EAF.

Budget is not much, but around $300 USD for a new focuser.

Replacing with the TS Monorail N2 puts me OTD at $260 with shipping, and is compatible with the EAF. (including bracket in price)

But honestly, I do not really know this market. Is there a good option that is around this price I should be going with?  

Also, I use a Hotech SCA collimator, is this a good piece of kit? I always used it for my Dob, and it always visually looked perfect....but I don't image with my dob so I have never really been concerned with just how accurate it is. Now I am significantly more concerned.