NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Shooting Stars

Roy Foreman

Before an imaging run, and often while it is still twilight, I will use a bright star to sync the scope to that part of the sky, and take a few images of it to check focus etc.

I eventually started processing these test images and grew to like the results. I now have a growing collection of stars like Vega (shown below), Regulus, Betelgeuse etc. against their starry backdrops.

Had a quick search through the SGL galleries but could not find any 'single star' images done by others.

Am I alone in this, or is anyone out there doing the same ?

810_7761.jpg

• Like 10

I like everything bright in the night sky. You do get a sense of satisfaction having a bright properly focused star centred in your FOV.

Gives me hope that my imaging session may go well!!! Reflectors do the best with diffraction spikes. Refractors need Bahtinov masks to get the equivalent. Alas my stars don't seem to be as crisp as yours (asymmetrical halos) and so I can't compete with your image but I very much would like to be able to!! I have taken images of clusters - the twins in Perseus was my last effort posted here - still a work in progress with me (need better star colours).

Stars are not easy to get right - can love them in the Pleaides cluster but struggle very much with Alnituk in Orion HH Nebula.

I agree with you, they can be as much as a target as DSO's like galaxies and nebulas.

p.s. Do you have one of Betelgeuse???

Gerr.

Hi Gerr - thanks for your response.

Shooting stars is not as straight forward as it might seem. You need to have pin sharp focus and correct exposure - there is a fine balance, which varies with the star field and atmospheric conditions.

I find a DSLR gives better results than a dedicated astro camera, in terms of colour balance and ease of use. You don't need a modded camera. I generally use 4 sec at ISO 200.

And yes I do have a shot of Betelgeuse - see below.

Betelgeus 2019-12-25.jpg

• Like 2