EQMOD incorrect mount detection

Hi all,

I've just set up EQMOD with what I thought to be the correct drivers for my mount, a Skywatcher EQM-35. Instead, EQMOD detects a HEQ5/6  (see screen-shot   attached). Symptoms of something badly wrong of some sort is that Stellarium's searching for any object is wildly out (by a longshot). (I've dobule-checked my coordinates)

What can be wrong? Have I got the wrong driver? If so, where should I go for the correct one for my mount?

Thank you

Richard

EQMOD error.docx

Hi Richard and welcome to SGL.

It looks like you have the correct drivers installed and working because you are able to connect to the mount. EQMOD says HEQ5/6 as this is the generic for the Sky-Watcher mounts, my EQ5 says the same thing.

Have you tried a star alignment yet? I don't use Stellarium but this tutorial may help: Light Vortex Astronomy

Hi Richard,

EQMod has been around for some time, when a lot of these newer mounts weren't around, so it will detect as close a mount as possible.  However, it also has a "Custom" setting in the driver which allows you to enter the values for the worm gear, motor steps etc as defined on the prerequisite page here  

EQMOD actually obtains the information when it interrogates the mount when first connected (in the same way the handset does) so it doesn't really matter if HEQ5 or 6 is selected.  However if you want to set the values exactly you can set a custom mount in EQMOD.

If you navigate to the toolbox application (default installation is C:\Program Files (x86)\EQMOD ) and then when launched click on "driver setup" (ensuring eqmod.exe is shown in the dropdown list to the left).   

The ASCOM setup window appears.  Top left under "mount options" choose "custom" and click on the spanner.  In the next pop up select any mount (but make a note) for both RA and Dec (make it the same for both) and then enter the values from the table (total steps 4608000, worm steps 25600 )