Dslr on SLT Mount

I presume it is possible to attach it - I have done so via some Skywatcher tube rings, but that did require an OTA to be present (just to hold the tube rings!).

Being an alt-az mount your are limited in how long you can expose by field rotation. This varies over the sky. Straight up is not possible (infinite rotation rate), but E or W towards the horizon you can take expose for several minutes. It is not dependent on the focal length of the lens. Generally I stick to 30 sec exposures on the SLT mount. This picture was taken using a Canon1000D with Canon 55-250 zoom (at 250) by stacking a couple of hundred 30sec subs.

spacer.png

NIgelM

Thank you so much for your informative answer, so helpful and exactly the information I was looking for. That is an amazing picture, and of the Andromeda galaxy, which I wanted to photograph as well, much appreciated.

Archived