Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Installing a motor drive on my mount

nikolav

Hey guys. A newbie with a stupid question probably...

I bought cheap this old Saxon telescope and it came with a mount that looks much better than the one I have with my Celestron Astro master 130. I have no idea what the model is and not sure if it is the original one that shipped with the telescope. Somewhere online I read that it should be EQ2 or EQ3 and the motor is optional. Can you help with finding the right RA motor for the mount? I guess I could easily retrofit the motor from my Celestron mount (pictured below), but then I will lose the slow motion control.

The mount:

IMG-20190605-064322.jpg

IMG-20190605-064259.jpg

IMG-20190605-064310.jpg

IMG-20190605-064352.jpg

IMG-20190605-064426.jpg

There is a threaded hole in the circle. Something should go there. Mounting point for a motor probably?

edited.jpg

The motor drive I could retrofit:

IMG-20190605-064438.jpg

Any ideas guys?

If the mount is the same as an EQ-2 mount, you can fit the economy drive, similar to the Celestron one you have pictured, or a better more expensive one one with multiple speeds.  I had the economy drive a while ago and it was awful.

If it works anything like the EQ-5 + motor, you declutch for coarse movement and use the electric for fine movement.

You can find pictures online of the EQ-2 mount.

Hey Cosmic Geoff

Yep, that's the easiest way and not hard to do. I was just wondering if there's a way to add the motor and keep the slow-motion cable. But I guess I'll have to live with it.

Archived