Filters Help

So, coming to the end of my imaging season and I have cracked my cheap LP filter (a Baader one) which has left my images washed out for the last two sessions. I left it in my imaging train and I assume the expansion and contraction with going from inside to outside just stressed the glass in the metal ring and it cracked. I suppose the first question is should I be fully dismantling my setup every time or is it usually safe to leave it all assembled and I've just got unlucky with a cheap filter?

The next question is what route do I go down to replace it? I was really considering getting a filter wheel so I could image in HA on my ASI 294MC. Yes, I know it's a OSC camera, but HA is still possible for enhancing things like the Horsehead nebula etc - i'll just have to deal with the lower detail and longer exposures. Would getting a filterwheel and essentially fitting two filters; LP in slot 1 and HA in slot 2 make sense? I saw that the AstroBackyard guy was using a Starzonia filter drawer so he could swap between his LP and HA filter with a similar setup, so was considering a similar system (https://www.365astronomy.com/TS-Optics-Filter-Quick-Changer-incl.-1x-2-Filter-Drawer-Low-Profile.html) but can't see too many benefits over a filterwheel other than using 2" filters.

Thoughts?

Archived