NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

linux RAW editor

aster94

hello,

i am a linux fan and for my postprocessing work i would like to use it (even because i don't want to have cracked version of photoshop and lightroom)

for the image manipulation i feel very confortable with GIMP

the problem cames when we talk about raw editors: I have both darktable and rawtherapee

is here someone who tried both and can give me any suggestion about which one is more suitable for astrophotography?

Hi there:

I've used both a fair bit - overall I think I prefered darktable mostly on the ergonomics, but I never found a raw editor that useful for astro work. My usual workflow was to get the images staked and into either a FITS or TIFF format as soon as possible. You want to be doing that on unedited RAW files - just feed them into siril with darks and flats and it does the work for you.

If you're not planning on stacking then you could use a RAW editor to tweak the files - I would expect both to do the job equally well, though with the new version of GIMP having 32 bit (I think, maybe only 16 bit) support you won't get any particular benefit versus just dumping the RAW straight into a TIFF file and playing with the curves etc yourself. That would actually be my preferred approach.

Regards,

Billy.

Archived