Starting again. Looking mainly for observing with 'goto' function and options tondo astrophotography in future. Budget £2k

After several years in the astronomy wilderness keen to get back into the hobby. 

Will mostly be using initially for straight observing of planets and some DSO. Preferably with a go-to option... Though I need a quick setup as the scope would be taken out from a shed when used.

Ideally something which can. Easily adapted to allow astrophotography in future. 

Suggestions much appreciated. 

Start at the mount and for AP it is really an equitorial and a goto equitorial - you seem to want one and AP needs the tracking and they go to targets so save time, additionally the goto is a necessity for future possible guiding.

How serious is the AP going to be. Ask as that is relevant to the mount.

The EQ5 will do fairly well if the aim is "just" to take images, say up to 60 second exposures and OSC (DSLR). Nice, simple, fairly easy. It can be too easy to get dragged into the "must have" situation and end up spending £10,000 or more. That is no exaggeration, I guess most of the serious imagers have £20,000 of equipment.

Serious people will say HEQ5 as a minimum, but believe me check the weight of one first. I have just brought the head on one downstairs and I can feel the strain it put on my back, I am not exactly fragile and small.

Both are Skywatcher. the other general one around is iOptron and I guess you are looking at the CEM25 in their line. Cannot say much as they seem to have gone through a change or two and not sure of the present status. Seems you can get a good one or a poor one.  Not 100% sure of the support in the UK if you have problems and maybe that is the area that has to be considered. I was looking at getting one but held off, still holding off.

There are Meade/ES mounts but again little information on them.

Scope, basiccally reflector or refractor. If you get a reflector make it a PDS one as otherwise you may not get the image and the sensor to coincide = no image. If refractor then for AP it is a small fast refractor, probably at least ED preferably apo. ES do fair price apo triplets - thinking of their 80mm Essential.

Planetary imaging is done differently: usually an SCT or Mak and you get a movie then stack the best 20% frames from the movie. So different scope, different camera, different processing. Oddly probably easier but there are not a lot of planets.

Add a location and maybe join a club: http://www.astronomyclubs.co.uk/

Archived