looking for a little advice on starting off with a PS3 webcam for imaging

BenFlatman

Hi

I've been using my telescope for a few years on and off, I've just decided to cannibalize an old Sony PS3 Eye cam to do some planetary/moon imaging.

I've ordered a 1.25" webcam adapter, however looking at the cost of a separate IR blocking filter I picked up one with one built in as a "test" more than a permanent solution.

Does anyone have any advice on the use of a PS3 webcams and IR filters, should I have gone for basic adapter with no filter and just waited to get a better (removable) blocking filter at a later date.

I've had ​a search around but any additional tips for using a PS3 cam, modifications or video's/websites I may not have seen that could be useful would also be good.

Thanks for any advice in advance

Ben

Hi

I've been using my telescope for a few years on and off, I've just decided to cannibalize an old Sony PS3 Eye cam to do some planetary/moon imaging.

I've ordered a 1.25" webcam adapter, however looking at the cost of a separate IR blocking filter I picked up one with one built in as a "test" more than a permanent solution.

Does anyone have any advice on the use of a PS3 webcams and IR filters, should I have gone for basic adapter with no filter and just waited to get a better (removable) blocking filter at a later date.

I've had ​a search around but any additional tips for using a PS3 cam, modifications or video's/websites I may not have seen that could be useful would also be good.

Thanks for any advice in advance

Ben

Just have a go with it. It will be fine.   There is far more to be learnt from having a go than the finer details of IR filters.

Archived