NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

William Optics Zenith Star 71 ED review

Ahab

I do a lot of camping and wanted to get a small refractor with enough correction to replace my Shortube 80. The WO had several good reviews, was light and had decent specs so I ordered it. I have a nice wood tripod and mount and figured I’d have a great travel kit. The scope came nicely packaged. When I opened the box and removed the scope the first thing I noticed was there was a slight wobble between the focuser and the front tube. It was very slight so I didn’t pay much attention, I tried the focuser and was pleased at the smooth movement. Probably one of the best I’ve fiddled with. Removing the front cover and using a LED flashlight I looked down the OT and got the old gut wrench. Inside the optical assembly and between the glass were two metallic particles and a smattering of dust. I sent an e-mail off to WO and the reply was that I could send it back to the seller for their examination but what I was seeing was not unusual and shouldn’t degrade the image. I decided I’d do a star test before spending money on shipping. We have super dark skies and first light saw me checking out Orion and the trapizium. Next were nearby double’s which were easily separated. All the stars were pinpoint and with clear separation. No collimation problems here. I was impressed. Last night I decided to check out Jupiter. I inserted a ES 10mm 70° EP turned the scope in the general direction and bingo it popped into view. A crisp globe with several wavy bands and four of its moons. A jiggle produced a slight distortion of the view. On a hunch I looked at the three screws holding the focuser to the main optical tube and found them all to be loose! I got a proper fitting screwdriver and snugged them up and all is well. This scope can produce great views and is a super travel companion. Would I buy it again or recommend to a friend. No….I’ve since found the Astro-Tech AT 72 ED which appears to be made by the same manufacturer and real close in specs, less expensive, and comes with a nice metal case.I do a lot of camping and wanted to get a small refractor with enough correction to replace my Shortube 80. The WO had several good reviews, was light and had decent specs so I ordered it. I have a nice wood tripod and mount and figured I’d have a great travel kit. The scope came nicely packaged. When I opened the box and removed the scope the first thing I noticed was there was a slight wobble between the focuser and the front tube. It was very slight so I didn’t pay much attention, I tried the focuser and was pleased at the smooth movement. Probably one of the best I’ve fiddled with. Removing the front cover and using a LED flashlight I looked down the OT and got the old gut wrench. Inside the optical assembly and between the glass were two metallic particles and a smattering of dust. I sent an e-mail off to WO and the reply was that I could send it back to the seller for their examination but what I was seeing was not unusual and shouldn’t degrade the image. I decided I’d do a star test before spending money on shipping. We have super dark skies and first light saw me checking out Orion and the trapizium. Next were nearby double’s which were easily separated. All the stars were pinpoint and with clear separation. No collimation problems here. I was impressed. Last night I decided to check out Jupiter. I inserted a ES 10mm 70° EP turned the scope in the general direction and bingo it popped into view. A crisp globe with several wavy bands and four of its moons. A jiggle produced a slight distortion of the view. On a hunch I looked at the three screws holding the focuser to the main optical tube and found them all to be loose! I got a proper fitting screwdriver and snugged them up and all is well. This scope can produce great views and is a super travel companion. Would I buy it again or recommend to a friend. No….I’ve since found the Astro-Tech AT 72 ED which appears to be made by the same manufacturer and real close in specs, less expensive, and comes with a nice metal case.

As best I can tell this post has occurred twice and the text in the post has been repeated. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Duplicate posts seem to occur fairly often and I assume are down to the device used, why this one has duplicated the text, not a clue. Also I guess all the formatting has gone as it is one block of text without structure - makes reading interesting.

The ZS 71 is basically the same as the A-T 72.

WO have had a 72, 70 and 71 and the difference being minimal.

A-T have stuck with the 72.

Apologies, just seen it says Zenith Star in the title, so yes it is the ZS 71. Not the WO Star in case anyone read this before modification.

Archived