NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Imaging help with LXD55

weatherman

Hi All,

Having been a lurker for sometime, and providing the astronomy weather forecasts via Weatherweb.net, the time has come for me to wade into the forum. I'll post an introduction on the welcome page so that you know more about me.

But, I have a question. The answer to this is probably so obvious it is embarrassing.

I have an ETX70 and an LXD55. Having connected my Toucam to the ETX70 I'm starting to get some okay images (still lots to learn but I am getting there). So I decided that tonight I would try to image through the LXD55. Unfortunately the focussing tube does not seem long enough to focus the image.

There is probably a piece of kit I am missing, but if anyone can suggest a solution, I'll be very grateful...although I can't promise to bring clear skies :D

Best wishes and thanks,

Simon

Hi Simon,

Technically, the LXD55 is the designation of the mount, not the tube on top. Meade ships that mount with a variety of scope options, from Refractors, to Newtonians, to SCTs. Which OTA (optical tube assembly) do you have on your LXD55 mount?

I've got an LXD75 mount (almost identical to the LXD55) with the 8" Schmidt-Newt on top and can image through that with my Toucam OK.

Cheers,

John

It's a 10" reflector.

I assume that's the Schmidt-Newtonian - I think they only do the SCT in an 8"?

My 8" SN came with an extension tube to screw onto the end of the focuser - you unscrew the eyepiece adapter and screw on the extension, then screw the adapter back on.

Does yours have the same? Would fitting that give you the extra focus travel you need?

John

Hi John,

Yes, it is the Schmidt-Newtonian.

It came with the Meade anniversary set of eyepieces etc... but no extension tube from what I can see.

That would make sense of course, so I guess it would go extension tube -> Barlow -> Toucam?

Any idea where I can get extension tubes from?

Thanks again,

Simon

Archived