Celestron C8 Utlima (circa 1995) - Trouble using celestial coordinates

Here's my dilemma.  I have a Celestron C8 Ultima that was purchased around 1995.    I currently live in a duplex.  I have space to move around outside, but there are trees and buildings everywhere.  One thing that I can't get a clear view of is Polaris.  

I polar align using an old fashioned compass.  The drive works pretty well.  I replaced the batteries, and it keeps objects in the eyepiece.  I have to fine adjust in declination every few minutes.  

I can't seem to get the celestial coordinates to match reality.  I usually set RA using a bright star like Arcturus or Vega.  The declination dial wasn't lining up.  I assumed the latitude adjustment dial must be off, so I set the declination of the telescope to a bright star and then centered it in the eyepiece using the latitude adjustment screw and RA adjustments.  It actually lined up at the correct latitude.  The C8 manual doesn't make it clear where the latitude adjustment screw should rest on the underside of the wedge...

I am having trouble finding Messier objects using celestial coordinates.  The fact that I have so many obstructions makes everything a little tougher, but I feel like I should be able to find some stuff.  

Any suggestions as to what's happening?  Which objects are the brightest/easiest to find?   They would have to be visible from the Northern Hemisphere and far from the horizon.  

In Albany NY the compass will not point accurately North.

For a scope you need True North, the compass will point to Magnetic North.

Unfortunately according to a site for this in Albany a compass will be pointing about 14 degrees wrong, I suspect that this is the problem.

I THINK, but am not sure, that to get it better you need to take the compass reading then point the scope 14 degrees to the East/Right of what the compass says.

The information is: Magnetic declination: -13° 42' WEST

Someone else may know better the me if this means rotate East or West to achieve True North from a compass heading, I think it is East but could be wrong. Sort of 60/40 if I had to bet on it.

Would say put up a post asking but I suspect you would get half saying one and half the other. :grin: :grin:

As to what you can see, what direction have you best visibility (N/S/E/W) and roughly what angle do you have as a minimum before bits get in the way.

Thanks for the idea.  I have the clearest views to the Southwest, West, and East.  The angle question is tougher.  I've got parts where I can see to maybe 30 degrees.  To the North, I guess it's 60 degrees or so.  I probably should drag my telescope over to the local golf course.  It's so heavy, though.  

Tried rotating East; it worked perfectly!  I actually drew a huge compass on my driveway with my kids.  I always knew that magnetic and true north were apart, but I didn't realize they were 500+ miles apart.  Anyway, I found M81, M82, M5, and M92.  Had trouble with the galaxies because of light pollution, I think. 

Thanks.

Lets be honest I guessed East.

Was based on knowing that the magnestic pole is up in the Artic Ocean above the mid-Western side of Northern Canada so True North seemed to make sense that it would be East of where you compass pointed.

We are lucky in the UK the difference is about 1 degree, so no real need for much correction. Oh yes and it moves about 25 miles a year apparently.

Should have asked earlier, if you have a smart phone with gps on it hen it should give True North as the normal direction for North.

May have saved all this guessing and trial.

There are a lot of Albany's in the Eastern US.

Archived