NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

iOptron SmartEQ pro... What is "Wide Field" photography.

I can only get a Max of about 30 second exposures with my Alt/Az mount on my 10" SCT. I don't want to go to a wedge for a number of reasons.

I have been trying to figure out what kind of investment I need to make to get a small scope and tracking EQ mount for long(er) exposures.

Reading the description of some of the more affordable EQ mounts I noticed "Wide Field" photographs. 

What exactly do they mean by this?

Is the tracking so poor that I won't be able to photograph planets just the Milkyway or Orion Nebula??

What is the lowest cost EQ mounts that will allow me to photograph DSLs/Planets ?

I have access to a 500mm - 3.5" F5 MAK, I own an old StarShoot CCD, NexImage5, several DSLRs. 

Once I have good practice with the mount I would likely look into an additional small scope.

If you want to do long exposure astrophotography, a HEQ5 / Advanced VX Mount is a minimum.

so new price you are looking at 700-800 minimum and that´s just for the Mount.

unguided you could push 2 minutes exposure with the above mounts, but only if you master polar / drift alignment and get it Perfect.

Beyond 2 minutes and you will need to invest in guiding, setting you back for another 250 or so (finder guider + QHY5-II combo for example).

Archived